[JDEV] FreeBSD

Donn Cave donn at u.washington.edu
Wed Aug 16 12:59:31 CDT 2000

Quoth "Andy Smith" <andyonhols at hotmail.com>:

| So has anybody on this list got it all working with FreeBSD?

Yes.  It can be done.  I would rate it as moderately difficult,
but that's relative.  If you're familiar enough with Bourne shell
etc. to diagnose and fix problems in the configure scripts, it
will be easy enough once you realize that it's not you, they're
really broken and couldn't possibly work.  Ditto for Makefiles,
though your mileage may vary if you picked up GNU make.

It was some time back and I don't remember the details very well.
The problem you mentioned where it can't find its prerequisites
crops up all over:  everything goes in /usr/local/lib, but nothing
looks in /usr/local/lib.  Sometimes this can be cured with a --with
flag, but not always, so at worst you may have to just force configure
to look in /usr/local/lib for things.  The real fix would go in
configure.in, but I'm not an autoconfig wizard enough to know how to
get that right.

If you can fix the Makefile problems in Makefile.in before you
configure, that obviously has some time-saving potential.  One
chronic problem in jabber-transport was unnecessarily quoted strings
that would eventually be rendered in a shell "for" command.

On the bright side, it's infinitely easier than making that build
procedure work somewhere like AIX.

	Donn Cave, donn at u.washington.edu